Happy Skin Kitchen’s Pappardelle Mushroom Ragu
Here’s a delicious dish for Veganuary created by Elisa from Happy Skin Kitchen. 100% vegan and full of flavour – it even uses our Iorio Aglianico del Sannio in the recipe and the dish is also a fantastic match for this bold red.
2 tablespoons olive oil for frying
1 small white onion, finely chopped
2 medium-sized carrots, finely chopped
280 gr of chestnut mushrooms- minced into a food processor
150ml of Iorio Aglianico del Sannio red wine
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup of cooked brown lentils
1 tin of chopped tomatoes or Italian passata
3 tablespoons tomato paste
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves + extra for sprinkling
1/4teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 tablespoon of dry basil
1 teaspoon of miso paste (optional but adds a depth of flavour)
Pasta of your choice – I have used pappardelle
• Heat the olive oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and carrots. Cook for about 6-8 minutes, until the onion starts to turn translucent.
• Add the crushed garlic and cook for another minute, stirring from time to time to prevent from burning.
• Add the mushrooms to the pan and keep on cooking for around 5 minutes.
• Add the lentils, tomatoes, tomato paste, salt and all the herbs to the pan. Stir the mixture well, add the red wine and bring it to a boil. Reduce it to a simmer and cover. Cook for 30 to 35 minutes on a very gentle heat. If the sauce becomes too thick add a splash of water.
• When the sauce is 15 minutes from being done, heat a large pot of salted water to boil. Add the pasta and cook according to package instructions. Drain the pasta and add a splash of olive oil to prevent from sticking.
• Divide the pasta into bowls and top with the ragu sauce. Serve the pasta with some extra fresh thyme and cracked black pepper.
For more fantastic plant powered recipes, visit www.happyskinkitchen.com or check out Elisa’s instagram page.Go Back